Thursday, December 11, 2008

Top 15 Albums of 2008

I first started writing this blog because I wanted to be a journalist and I figured this would help me hone my writing skills. I no longer have any aspirations involving journalism, yet I keep writing for reasons mostly unknown and nonsensical. And anyone who actually read my blog back then knows that the only difference between then and now is that now I have a wider range of authors whose style I try and emulate. Likewise, I first started compiling 'best of' music lists to improve my writing and to show people how awesome my musical taste was. I now realize that I make people aware of my musical tastes whether or not they read my year end lists. Mainly because I'm a loud, obnoxious blowhard when it comes to music*. Yet I digress.

This year I made a conscious decision to be more analytical in my actual life and less analytical in the “arts” that I encounter. Why do this you ask, well I felt like there wasn't enough duality in my life. Actually that's not true, mainly I just figured that if I liked something I shouldn't have to justify it to myself. So for the first time ever this list is wholly made up of my favorite records of the year. In years past I'd allow my inner music critic to take over and I’d put albums I thought were better ahead of albums I liked more. So in turning over this new leaf I'll start with the honorable mentions and go from their.

Honorable Mention
Plants and Animals - Parc Avenue
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Pershing
Paavoharju - Laulu Laakson Kukista
(Not a made up band or album, their just Finnish)
Crooked Fingers - Forfeit/Fortune


15. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend: A very solid album whose charm dissipates upon multiple listens. There are still some amazing highlights off this album though whose awesomeness haven’t weaned over time.

14. French Kicks - Swimming: I'm not sure why I like this French Kicks album better than there older stuff, perhaps it's because they sound more relax, more sure off themselves. It as if they're no longer concerned with trying to save the world by rocking and now they just wanna play good music. I actually can't explain why I like this album so much, but hopefully my ambiguity covered that up...

13. Hayden - In Field and Town: As I grow older I've found that my fantasies are becoming more and more grounded in reality. Where as a teenager I dreamed of being an me exceedingly rich multi-media celebrity which would allow me to bed any and every beautiful woman on the planet. Now my daydreams consist of a day off work where it's breezy and I have no responsibilities and can just sit and read in the shade. If such a day ever arrives, this album will be the soundtrack to it. Never did I imagine myself being this boring and neutered at the age of 23.

12. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes: This album/band answers the age old question of what it would sound like if Fleetwood Mac and the Beach Boys had a musical love child. The Answer: F*cking Awesome

11. The Notwists - The Devil You, and Me: I feel like this album is made a lot better by the fact that it's the Notwists first album in over 6 years. Such distance between records is sure to augment it one way or the other. Luckily for the Notwists, the break plays in there favor. And since I have nothing else to say I’ll allow avid reader and musical enthusiast Marko Wilson to give a one word review of this album:

“Catchier”

10.The Walkmen - You and Me: Anyone who read my blog back when I was living in Chicago knows how truly miserable I was during the 6 month long winter there. This album, oddly enough, makes me miss those winters. The whole thing sounds like a soundtrack to those dark, bleak and freezing months. If I were still living there I can guarantee this album would have been one of my 3 favorite to come out this year.

9. The Dodos - Visiter: Every so often I feel as if an album is made with me specifically in mind. This is one of those records. It's perfectly constructed alt. folk with a curveball thrown in, which pretty much describes anything I'd ever want in a record. What makes this record better so many similar ones, like the over-hyped Department of Eagles LP, is their use of percussion and harmonies. Considering the album is almost entirely acoustic, it's very unique and awesome to hear the drums and bass lines up so high in the mix.

8. Lil Wayne - Carter III: I've gone back in forth on this album all year. Sometimes it sounds like the most brilliant, enjoyable music that's ever been put out. Other times it's so painfully obnoxious it makes me what to punch someone in the face. As of the time of writing this, it's the former. I'm currently amazed how Lil' Weezy raps the way jazz musicians play music.

7. Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eurune Vid Spilum Endalaust (With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly): This was easily the biggest surprise of the year in my mind. No so much that the album was as good as it is, though it is Sigur Ros most complete record, but what surprised me the most was how the album was so good. The fact that a band that's famous for making atmospheric post-rock and signing in a made up language could write such brilliant pop songs is really quite astounding. The best song on the album, Festival, does sound like a classic Sigur Ros song, but good portions of this album are borderline twee-pop. Even typing this I'm still flabbergasted that it works as well as it does.


6. Blind Pilot - 3 Rounds and a Sound: Speaking of album's that seem like they were made exclusively for me, I present Blind Pilot's debut LP. Much the same way boy bands were created out of the dreams and wishes of teenagers girls and gay men over the age of 40, so Blind Pilot was created for me. It's like Pandora and the Itunes Genius function combined powers, look through my musical collection and then gave birth to Blind Pilot based on all that data. And if that wasn't enough, they biked to every venue on their first tour, which is incredible awesome. There's nothing about this band and their stunningly beautiful music that I don't love.


5. Destroyer - Trouble in Dreams: Another great album by Destroyer which I undersell because it came out only two years after Rubies. If you like Destroyer you'll love this album. If you don't like Destroyer then there is probably something wrong with you. I also question whether or not you have the ability to truly love anything.

4. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins: This probably would have been my album of the year if were just a 4 song EP featuring: Lost Coastlines, Blue Tulips**, Calling and Not Calling My Ex and Interview with Bruce Wayne Campbell. That's not to the say the other 4 non-instrumental songs on this album are bad, quite the opposite in fact. Those songs main problem is the fact that they're paired with the aforementioned 'Big 4'. I also probably would have had this album higher if I hadn't played it for a 2 months straight followed by other members of my family playing it for two more months straight. That's a pretty good recipe right there for how to OD on an album.

3. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago: I'm sure I've written or talked about this analogy before in regards to other albums, but I don't really care. Bon Iver's debut album reminds me of the Shaq-Kobe Lakers teams that were a mini-dynasty at the beginning of this decade. You've got two iconic superstars: Skinny Love and the title track. And there surrounded by a slew of great role players, who don't necessarily stand out on their own, but they compliment the two superstars perfectly. I feel like this is the best possible explanation for this great album. And for those of you wondering, Flume is obviously ‘Big Shot’ Bob Horry in this analogy.

2. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals: Some people might frown upon Girl Talk's inclusion on this list, since none of this album is original material, it's all mash-ups. My justification, not that I feel like I need one (see the 2nd paragraph of this post), is that while all the songs Gregg Gillis is using were originally other people's, they now belong to him. Much the same way as when Johnny Cash covers a song, it then becomes one of his songs^. Hurt is no longer a Trent Reznor or NIN song, it's a Cash song. I feel the exact same way about the music in Feed the Animals, anytime I hear a song that’s on here out of the context of this mash-up it feels foreign and wrong. And that's why this album is on this list, because even though he's breaking multiple copyright laws and getting sued out the a$$, the songs on this album now belong to Mr. Gillis. And they're all pretty damned amazing.

1. Spiritualized - Songs in A+E: What can I say about this album that I haven't already written or forcefully told people who didn't want to hear about it? I've been playing this record at least once a week for the past 6 months and I've yet to tire of it. The sum of its whole is better than the individual parts, which is a marking of any great album. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but Songs in A+E is pretty much perfect.

Until We Meet Again
* Context probably not necessary...
** Be sure to hit up youtube and check out Bon Iver's cover of this son
^ With the exception of his covers of Bridge of Troubled Water and In My Life and maybe one or two other songs I'm currently forgetting

5 comments:

M. Perkins said...

Thanks for the heads up with the Bon Iver cover.

I haven't listened to four of yours, but for what it's worth, my top fifteen -- and it's still shifting around:

Hon mentions:
-Black Keys - Attack and Release. Unabashed pure rock n roll.
-Port O'Brien - All We Could Do Was Sing. Some really great stuff but the album is about ten minutes too long. A couple songs in the middle could be cut and it would improve.
-Blitzen Trapper - Furr. I suspect I would put this much higher if I had the whole album and not a few songs. Pulls off sounding Dylan-esque without sounding like a guy trying to sound like Bob Dylan.

15. Vampire Weekend - agreed that this album gets a bit tiring after a while. I like that it serves pretty well as a common ground album.
14. Thao with the Get Down, Stay Down - We Brave Bee Stings and All.
13. Why? - Alopecia. This album would be higher for me, but the lyrics are (a) Cheesy "alive in love and wide eyed in my time" - seriously? (b) Repugnant. It's not the moral distaste, it's that I can't listen to a couple songs without grimacing. That's not helping an album. Say what you want to say, but repulsive lyrics aren't helping your music.
12. The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride. Okay, it has a couple weak spots. And, sad to say, John Darnielle has said goodbye to lo-fi forever. But I still love this album, love Michael Myers Resplendent, love Sept 15 1983 though it does sort of border on "Mix 94.9" territory or mid-afternoon on 92.9
11. The Dodos - Visiter. I am a pathetic sucker for bluegrass-influenced rock.
10. Department of Eagles - In Ear Park. You have a humorous definition of over-hyped. Yes, everybody decided to love it before it was released, but I think it loved up to its hype, and Waves of Rye is one of my favorite songs of the year.
9. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer. The reaction to this album mystifies me. No, it's not Apologies. It is, I think, an incredibly cohesive album that should be listened to front-to-back.
8. TV on the Radio - Dear Science. Yes, I know, it's really trendy now. But I'm not worried. As Rolling Stone's #1 pick, the indie backlash will be vicious, and I'll soon be courageous for picking this album.
7. Deerhunter - Microcastle.
6. Breathe Owl Breathe - Ghost Glacier EP. Yeah, it's an EP, but it's eight songs and over 32 minutes, which is nearly as long as some of these.
5. Sigur Ros - Med sud i eyrum vid spilum endalaust. Agreed on the surprise. I think Festival could have used about a minute less on the front end. I think Inni mer syngur vitleysingur is the best song. But I didn't think that till I saw them in October, so maybe that's cheating. And I absolutely still think Agaetis Byrjun is a better album.
4. Okkervil River - the Stand Ins. I'm a big fan of On Tour with Zykos as well as your big four.
3. Fleet Foxes - I'm a sucker for anything that sounds Appalachian.
2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago.
1. Shearwater - Rook. Am I missing something? Why does nobody give a damn about this album?

M. Perkins said...

That's not a rhetorical question. I'm mystified by the entire lack of acclaim.

Palindroman said...

Man..As a avid reader of your blog without knowing you, I get creeped out sometimes by things you say that are directly from my life.

Crappy anecdotes from being a Starbucks Barista? Check

Feeling like you have neutered dreams at age 23? Check

Having a miserable winter in Chicago? Check

mfamily said...

I happened upon this post today, three days after its posting. I'd say that keeps me within the "avid reader" category, but not by a large margin.

M. Perkins said...

Google Reader updates me daily on every blog I follow at all. Hence the immediate response.