Friday, May 26, 2006

X-3, e-mail and the Suns

Today’s post is going to be very brief and I’m mainly doing it just to give you guys a quick, but very important, update. Do to an overwhelming response to my “Letters to the Editor” post, in which I made up the questions I answered, I’ve decided to get a new e-mail address. I will now give out this e-mail address and if you have a question you’d like me to answer or a commit or suggestion to leave, feel free to drop me a line. My new e-mail address is: anotherwestcoastmorning@rock.com
And now here’s some quick hitters to tide you over.
- I went and saw “X-Men 3: The Last Stand” last night and was very disappointed. The action sequences were amazing, but the film had little to no story. I can’t prove it, but I think they wrote the script either while they were making the movie or two days prior. I imagine the production meeting went something like this:
***Semi-Spoiler Alert***
“Yeah and then we’ll kill him off. After that they’ll be a huge fight scene and all of a sudden everything will start flying up, because Jean’s all powerful and sh*T. And then we’ll go to slo-mo and Wolverine will save the day somehow, because he can’t die. Yeah let’s go with that.”
***End of Semi-Spolier***
I really don’t think they thought through any of the plot developments in this film. What makes this even worse is this film has almost no plot, it’s just action sequence after action sequence. The film was still very enjoyable, but it should have been a lot better. It never earned any of the great fight scenes and the parts of the movie that were suppose to be emotional weren’t at all because there was absolutely no character development at all. Really this movie was just like a video game, great action, very entertaining but no real substance.

- I think the Phoenix Suns are the closest thing to Mid-Major that I’ve ever seen at the NBA level. They’re winning entirely on heart. Skill has a little bit to do with it, but this team has absolutely no right to beat anyone. Yes they’ve caught their shares of lucky breaks, such as the Tim Thomas signing or the Clippers not giving Elton Brand a touch every time down the floor, but even then they have no right to still be playing, let alone up 1 game in the Western Conference Finals. What’s even more perplexing is the fact that they’re winning the games that the teams I root for always seem to lose.

Take game 1 against the Mavs, the Suns control the game for 3 quarters, gave up the lead late, mounted a come back just to tease me, and then let Devin Harris, whose jump shot maybe worse then my own* hit an 18 footer with 4.8 seconds left. I was absolutely thrilled when I saw Harris taking the Mavs last shot. Harris had a great game but, as noted above, he’s a poor jump shooter. It was exactly the shots the Suns wanted Dallas to take, and Nash even got a hand in his face. Of course since I’m rooting for the Suns Harris’s shot barely touched the rim on its way through the net. I was completely deject and thought right then and there about calling in sick to work. But then, as it has all post-season for the Suns, someone came through with a miracle for the Suns when they seemed down and out. Boris Diaw, Boris freaking Diaw hit a fall away, turn around 10 footer with .5 seconds left to win the game for the Suns. At that point I was wondering how Hakeem “The Dream” Olajuwon, circa 1994 had come into the game for the Suns. I’m mean honestly this was Boris Diaw, He was playing the game of his life, but to hit a fall away jumper with little to no time left and the game on the line, that’s ridiculous. Before this game Diaw was probably one of the last people I’d want taking a shot with the game on the line, regardless of how well he’s playing. Now I feel like he deserves the ball every time. I realize all this is irrational and crazy, but so is this Suns team. This team has lost huge leads, been jobbed by the refs, hit 3’s falling out of bounds to tie the game with a second left and won in double over-time. And that was just game 5 of the Clippers series. The Suns could sweep the Mavs, lose the next 4 games, score 200 points in regulation or when a game on a granny shot from half court by Pat Burke and none of this would surprise me. I don’t know what’s going to happen the rest of the post-season, but I feel confident the Suns can no longer surprise me. I mean honestly, how can they top the last 15 games?

Until We Meet Again

* This is more of a knock on Harris’s piss poor jumper then it is me crediting my ‘streaky at best’ jumper.

No comments: