Thursday, July 06, 2006

HOT/NOT for 7//6/06

It’s time for me to roll out the old hot list, but I’m trying something new this time. In the hopes that I will right less I’m going try this one with a hot and not format. I’ll mention something that I find or is currently hot. And then I’ll mention something in the same wave length that is not hot. Hopefully I explained that clearly, and if I didn’t you should be able to figure it out. Let’s hope this works out for everyone.

HOT: Ipod shuffle songs – For sometime now I’ve felt my ipod is outdated (I have a 3rd gen.) and couldn’t hold enough music for me to fully enjoy it. Then I discovered the shuffle songs option. Thanks to this brilliant option my ipod, as well as my love for it, has been rejuvenated. What the shuffle songs option does is pretty much self explanatory. It randomly selects songs from your ipod and plays them on a play list. I’d forgotten how many great songs were hidden on my ipod, but thanks to shuffle song I’m beginning to remember.

NOT: “My Ipod has changed my life.” – I’ve heard several people say this, I’ve read countless articles in which people have said this. And each time I hear or see this I feel sick. Listen I’m about as big of a music fan as anyone, but an ipod is not a life altering device. It’s a very nice convenience to have and a great music player, but it’s not something that should change your life. Cancer, diabetes, STD’s, chronic diarrhea. These are things that change your life. An portable defibulator or an insulin pump are life changing device, an ipod is not. All an ipod is is a very nice, sexy music player. Ipod’s are great to have and they make the music listening process easier and more enjoyable, but it doesn’t change your life. It changes the way you listen to music. Nothing more, nothing less. Despite what Apple wants you to believe ipod is just about music and entertainment, not lifes.

HOT: Zidane – The wizard has turned back the clock this world cup and looked like the best player in the world. He almost single handedly dominated the Brazilian midfield and did whatever was necessary against Portugal to get his team to the finals. While he’s had a whole lot of help, namely from Henry and Ribery (who’s quietly had a brilliant tournament), Zidane has led by example and been absolutely brilliant during this world cup run.

NOT: Totti and Toni – If someone had told me that Italy was going to be in the finals and that Totti and Toni wouldn’t have been among their top 5 players I would have simultaneously thrown up in my mouth and called them a crazy. Yet somehow Italy is in the final and Totti and Toni have both played like sh*t. Totti has been decent but nowhere near as dominate as he can be. The Italians expected a Zidane like presence in the midfield from Totti* and yet he’s failed to show up in numerous games so far for the Italians. Toni also came into the World Cup with high expectations. He’s a gifted scorer who set an Italian league records for goals scored in a club season. Toni was suppose to be the driving point behind a new look Italian squad that was more offensive minded. Well Toni’s been a bust for most of the cup. He scored his only two goals against a Ukraine team that had no right being in the final 8, let alone the entire tournament. And despite the tremendous no show by these two the Italians are in the final. In related news I know next to nothing about soccer.

Prediction: Despite my lack of knowledge I’m still going to make a prediction on Sunday’s World Cup Final. While it may seem contradictory to what I wrote above, I’m going with the Italians in a 1-0 victory. Both teams have relied on timely goals and stifling defense. The game will probably be bogged down with both teams looking to counterattack the entire game. Italy has been unreal on defense, allowing only an on goal the entire cup. France’s D has also been good, but not to Italy’s level. And France, despite their great play in the knock out round, has struggled offensively all tournament, scoring only 8 goals in 6 games (And they got 5 of those in two games). They’ve been content to get their goal and then sit on their lead. The only problem with that is that Italy doesn’t give up goals. I still feel that the French aren’t strong enough offensively to get a goal against the Italians. I also feel that France’s defensive is more likely to give up a goal then Italy’s. Which is why I’m picking the Italians to raise the Cup** on Sunday.

HOT: Lupe Fiasco – After his song stealing cameo on Kanye West’s Touch the Sky Lupe is back with his first full length album (unless you count mix tapes) called Food and Liquor. While I’ve only heard bits and pieces the CD is pretty great, thanks in part to the fact that it was produced by Kanye. Also the CD’s first single “Kick Push” is about skate boarding. A black rapper rapping about skate boarding, what more could you ask for? Oh yeah and the song’s really, really good. This looks to be a very promising debut album form a very talented young artist.
NOT: Busta – Back in the days of my youth, i.e. 3-4 years ago, I would always claimed to be a Busta Rhymes fan. Despite the fact that the only song of his I could pick out of a line up was the “Busta what it is right now” one I maintain this illusion of fandom. Then late one night I heard Busta’s newest single on the radio and I was out and out appalled. Not only was the song terrible, but it also sounded like every other generic rap artist out there. For shame Busta, for shame.

HOT: Chicago Bulls – Bringing in Big Ben Wallace to anchor a team that was already the best defensive team in the league is just unfair. The Bulls lead the league in Defensive Field Goal % the last two years with the likes of Mike Sweeny, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry in the middle. Now they’ve added one of the best defensive big men of all-time in Ben Wallace and another savvy veteran in PJ Brown. Oh yeah they also drafted Tyrus Thomas who just might be the best shot blocker I’ve ever seen at the colligate level. They also unloaded Chandler’s contract and got J.R. Smith, a 20 yr. old Shooting Guard who’s got unreal potential. And they still have enough cap room to sign some of their young core players like Hinrich, Nocconi and Gordon. The future looks very bright for the Bulls.

NOT: NO/OK Hornets – I was going to put fans of the NBA here, because not only is this Bulls team ready to contend for a title for the next few years, but they’re also going to set offensive basketball back light years. But that’s neither here nor there. So far this off-season the Hornets have used up all their cap space, traded away their second best player (J.R. Smith, based on potential) and their club house leader (PJ Brown). Hired a shooter who’s on the decline and can’t play over 65 games a year (Peja). Drafted or traded for 3 centers that have little to know offensive game. And if that wasn’t bad enough they’ll be playing all their home games in a city that’s either underwater or in Oklahoma. Needless to say the future doesn’t look too bright for these Hornets, even with uber-talented douche Chris Paul.

HOT: Letters from Readers Columns – Seriously my best columns are the ones where you write in questions or comments to me. So get on it. Send your questions or comments to anotherwestcoastmorning@rock.com

NOT: Writing the columns myself – Seriously this sh*t is tiring. And my wrist starts to hurt if I type too much.

Well that’s it for now. Holla attcha boy.

Until We Meet Again

* And as my friend Okkyu pointed out he looks like a racist ** I know the trophy is not actually a cup, but I’m too lazy to look up the things name.

No comments: