Monday, February 02, 2009

Don't Look Back in Anger

As I sit here the day after the Cardinals Super Bowl defeat sweating out an odd mixture of PBR, bratwurst, numerous kinds of buffalo wings and feeling so sore that it feels like I played in the game, I can't help but
think that as much as this loss stings in the short term, the lingering affects won't be that bad. Yes it was absolute gut-punch/kick to the groin loss. And sure I'll have to look away in every Super Bowl from now until the end of time when they show Harrison's interception return or Holmes's catch. And yes I'm sure I'll stay up countless nights wondering what would have happened if Fransico hadn't slipped thus setting up Holmes's catch and run that made it 1st and Goal. But even with all the what ifs, I still don't think this loss will have that much staying power.

In the end, the Steelers are a better team than the Cardinals. They'd probably win at least 65% of the times the two teams were to play. What hurts the most about this loss is that the Cardinals played a better game than the Steelers, they just didn't catch enough breaks to win. Yes the loss is going to hurt, but the total context of this loss is what's going to keep it from being truly tragic. Just look at the circumstances of how the Cardinals got here. Once we beat the Falcons in the first round, we were playing with the house's money. After the Jake Delhome game, this was officially the best Cardinals team of the modern era. The comeback win against the Eagles made this the best NFL season of my life and forever changed the way I'll watch Cardinals games. Thanks to that comeback, I'll no longer watch every Cardinals game certain they'll find a new and exciting way to blow it.

I'll now begrudgingly buy some NFC Championship gear, which will go great with my Phoenix Suns 1993 Western Conference Champions, all my UofA Final Four shirts from years other than 1997, etc. But I'm gonna feel a lot better looking at the Cardinals NFC Championship than the aforementioned fan gear because the Cardinals weren't suppose to get that far. There run to the Superbowl was wholly unexpected and exciting, thrilling, and any other cliché you wanna throw out there. It also distracted me from what appears to be the first UofA basketball team in my life time that won't be participating in March Madness. So yes this loss hurt, but in the end I can't really be that upset about it. And pitchers and catchers report in 14 days, which should provide a nice distraction for when the Cardinals management starts effing up this off-season.

Until We Meet Again

No comments: