Monday, October 10, 2005

Attention American Screen Writers: You’re Not J.D. Salinger.

Ok we’ve all read Catcher and the Rye. It was a great book. It perfectly captured the male adolescent and even foreshadowed the emo phenomenon. The book has a nostalgic feel, even the first time reading it, because the male reader can relate to it so well. And Franny and Zoey is equally as amazing. But I’ve got news for all of you, you’re not J.D. Salinger. Trying to re-write Catcher is played. Trying to make every dysfunctional family the Glass family is over done. You’re not witty, clever or elitist for mentioning or alluding to Holden Caulfield. I have a wonderful idea for all of you, try be original once in your worthless life. You’re not doing anyone a favor by butchering either of Salinger’s novels. No one cares how your life parallels Holden’s. That girl you fell in love with wasn’t Zooey, you were just trying to force her to be Zooey. Making a film about her is interesting to know one. For f*ck sake move on and start copying another writer.

Until We Meet Again

2 comments:

John said...

Calvin......I was laying in bed tonight thinking how bad I felt for not reading your blog for 5 months, so I thought I would get on online and see what you had up. Once I got on your blog, my guilt instantly evaporated when I saw that the only person who actually visits you blog is somekind of solicitor......nothing quite like a clear conscience...(it's only polite to end with a comment that will leave the door open for you to kick me in the balls.)

Calvin said...

Actually I have several readers, they just don't comment. At least thats what I keep telling myself.