Thursday, March 17, 2005

This Night has Opened My Eyes (Story of an Artist)

So today as I was reading my blog, for the comments that my numerous readers make, I clicked on the next blog button in the upper right corner, and what I found was astonishing. I was transported to someone named Josh’s blog, and there in his latest post, was this beauty staring right back at me:

you cut and weep because u believe no1 cares,
not true,
there is someone that cares,
but u wont realize it,
you'll deny to see the truth,
but i care,
and by hurting urself,
u hurt me as well,
but u dont care,
even though i care.

Now I’ve never been a fan of poetry, it’s something I just didn’t “get”, but this was just unbefuckinglievable. This I get! It’s as if this man was able to look into the souls of men and capture the essence of beauty in 10 short lines. This poet reminds me why I wake up in the morning. Why I feel. Why I live. And the terrible punctuation and purposely misspelled words just add to this piece’s mystique. After reading some other post by Josh I found out that he’s in his high school’s musical theatre group and loves ‘emo music’. Talk about an all around artist!!! I think the part that gets me the most is the fifth line where he says “you’ll deny to see the truth,”. All I can do is sit, awestruck at my computer and recall all the times that I myself have ‘deny to see the truth’. Seriously though, who the f*ck is this kid. This is some of the worst poetry I’ve ever seen. This kid in high school and is writing poetry that any 9 year-old handicap kid can see is a huge pile of sh*t. I just picture Josh as one of those musical theatre types who’s overly flamboyant. He’s skinny and lanky and stays in character all day, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes everyone around him. His life revolves around the plays that he’s in, and somewhere along the way he discovered Bright Eyes and their never ending bravado. Now he loves emo music and gets the shit kicked of him by jocks, all the while his parents’ are certain he’s gay. Here’s this kid living a terrible life, feeling like some sort of unappreciated artist, listening to god awful emo music, then he falls in love with a cutter, talk about shit luck. And as if things weren’t bad enough, he writes the worst poetry imaginable. Honestly, how did this kid get the idea that this was a good poem and that he should share it with the world. But give the man credit, he cares, even if you don’t think he does.

No comments: