Thursday, April 14, 2005

A Continued Journey

As most of you should know, I’m counting down my favorite 30 songs. Today we’re going through 20-11. For 30-21, as well as an explanation for all this, scroll down to the first post of this series. Word.

20. Ugly Casanova – Hotcha Girls: SPF:9, NSF: 7, LSF: 10, BT = Fall, Dusk.
Comment: Great combination of F*cked up lyrics and gorgeous music. Word.
19. Iron + Wine – Bird Stealing Bread: SPF: 9, NSF: 8.5, LSF:10, BT: Rainy Days, Afternoons.
Comment: A whole lot of Beam’s songs could go here. This one’s here do to nostalgia.
18. Pixies – Hey: SPF:10, NSF: 7.5, LSF: 8, BT: Night(?)
Comment: And the whores like a choir go *** all night (this one could/should be higher).
17.Badly Drawn Boy – The Shinning: SPF: 9, NSF: 9.5, LSF: 8.5, BT: Winter, Snowy/Foggy Days.
Comment: Maybe the best winter time song ever. See 15 for more details on its placing.
16. Travis – Why Does it Always Rain on Me: SPF: 9, NSF: 10, LSF: 9, BT: Fall, Spring.
Comment: My first ‘indie’ band which I found on my own. Also, I’m a sucker for Brit Pop.
15. Badly Drawn Boy – Silent Sigh: SPF: 9.5, NSF:9, LSF: 9, BT: Night.
Comment: Could easily have been switched with #17, but in the end this one’s more poppy, and I’m a whore for a good pop song.
14. Ryan Adams – Come Pick Me Up: SPF: 10, NSF: 10, LSF: 10, BT: Summer Nights.
Comment: I know, I know. 3 Ryan Adams songs, I know. And all 10’s, how is it not higher, at least top 10. Well these are all good questions that will be answered shortly…
13. James – Out to Get You: SPF: 10, NSF: 10, LSF: 10, BT: Night.
Comment: Another fringe top 10er along with #14, one of the most heart wrenching songs (Also like #14)… EVAH!!!!!
12. Decemberists – Engine Driver: SPF: 9.5, NSF: 9.5?, LSF: 10, BT: Still haven’t decided.
Comment: This one’s too high, should be 14 at the most, maybe lower. But I love this song and I’m too lazy to change my Itunes playlist which I’m working off of for this list. Great song though, definitely in the 17-12 area. It’s hard to rank this song since I just got about 3-4 months ago.
11. Van Morrison – Tupelo Honey: SPF: 10, NSF: 9, LSF: 10, BT: Night.
Comment: This is a sure fire top 10er, but since I just discovered it a couple of weeks ago, I can’t put it up there. (Note: Since my brother Max prolly just had an aneurysm reading the last sentence, I should note that I did not discover this song myself. In this case discover means listening.) Might be the best old-school love song…EVAH!!!!!

That’s all for today. Coming soon: The final 10 (I still haven’t decided if I’m going to do all 10 at once, or 10-6 and then the final 5. I guess will cross that bridge when we come to it.)

2 comments:

sam said...

calvin,
i am enjoying your top 20 list immensely. i expect that jeff buckley's "hallelujah" is not on these past two list because it is going to be in your top ten, along with greats such as johnny cash's cover of "one", doleful lions "graveyard of swallows" (nostalgia i.e. track) and maybe magnetic fields "luckiest guy".

ps: have you heard the new gorillaz song "feel good inc"? if so that too should be on your list because it may be one of the best songs ive heard this year....EVAH!!!!!

much love,
sam

Calvin said...

Sam, I just downloaded the Gorillaz song. And all I can say is: DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!