Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Grand Finale

Unless you’ve been hospitalized or in a cave the last few days, you should know I’m counting down my top 30 favorite songs… EVAH!!!! We’re now at the final 10. (Note: For 30-11, scroll down, this will also give you a better feel/explanation for what I’m doing here.)

10 . Desaperecidos – Man and Wife, the Latter (Damaged Goods): (All right from here on out they’re all obviously going to be 10’s, so I’ll just do the BT to save time.) BT: Summer Nights, but it works whenever.
Comment: I hate myself for loving this song. I hate the fact that a Conor Oberst led band is on my top 10 list. But this maybe the most kick ass song since ‘When the Levy Breaks’. I love this song in it’s entirety, and will always associate it with both my senior year of HS and Summer. Easily the sketchiest song on the Top 10 list.
9 Rhett Miller – Come Around: BT: Afternoon.
Comment: I probably have more nostalgia with this song then any other on this list. I love Rhett’s voice, lyrics, and hot bod. Add in the fact that I have a hard on for the Alt. Country the size of South Dakota and well, how could this song not be on my top 10 list.
8. Creeper Lagoon – Wonderful Love: BT: Mornings.
Comment: Everyone remembers the first crush they ever had on a girl, well this was my first crush on an indie song. Even though I listen to stuff the was more underground/indie, this was the first song I distinctly remember falling in love with. Just gorgeous.
7. Ugly Casanova – Barnacles: BT: Anytime, preferably warm weather.
Comment: Best opening line to a song EVER! When listening to this song I’m struck with vivid memories of the summer right before and all of my Senior Year of HS.
6. Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplanes over the Sea: BT: Summer, Afternoon.
Comment: For my money the best indie love song ever. One of the best love songs ever, irregardless of genres. And how can you not love a guy with the name Jeff Mangum.
5. Mason Jennings – California: BT: Night.
Comment: Mason is definitely one of favorite artists of all-time. So how could the first song of his that I fell in love with not be at least Top 5.
4. James – Just Like Fred Astair: BT: Mornings.
Comment: I don’t if I’ll ever be able to talk about what this song means to me. Seriously though, the James were the first indie band I listened to, even though I didn’t know they were indie nor what the hell indie was at the time. This song has it all, just trust me.
3. Modest Mouse – Broke: BT: Night.
Comment: The band that changed the way I look at music (That is before they got popular). How can this song not be on here. For it’s the song that started what was.is the most torrid love affair in my musical (and actual) life. So damn good.
2. Doves – Pounding: BT: Dusk.
Comment: Most will say this is to high, that I have way to big of a hard on for the Brit pop, and while I can’t refute the letter, I’ve got a few things to say to the first comment. First off, this song kicks a whole lot of ass. It hits in all the right places and keeps you spell bounded for the entire 4:47 of heavenly harmony. And second, it’s the greatest Brit rock song ever. So of course it’s going be real f*cking high on my list.
1. Wilco – Jesus Ect.: BT: Mornings
Comment: Yeah, that’s right. While other songs may be better in certain aspects, as a whole this song puts all others to shame. Just the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard. 'Last cigarettes, all you can get, turning your orbit around.'

And so there you have it. Thank you all for following me on what I hope was a wonderful journey. Truthfully though, I can’t think of anyone who was the least bit interested in this, outside of the biggest version I know (Yeah Max Michael, that’s a shot at you!?!?!?!? Lard Ass.).

Until We Meet Again.

No comments: