Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A song to pass the time

So I was bored as sh*t in class the other day when I came up with a brilliant game/thingy to do. I decide to list my top 10 favorite songs of all-time. But before I did that I need a list to work off of so I listed my 30 favorite songs in no particular order, and then ranked them. My ranking system was as complex as the electoral college and the BCS combined. I’d give some songs the nod over another if I’ve listen to them longer, I called this the Staying Power Factor(SPF). Nostalgia (NSF) was also highly factored into this list. And probably the most important factor into this list was listenability(LSF), a word I made up. What listenability means is this: do you have to be in a certain mood to listen to the song, certain weather or season and so on and so forth. This game made two class periods blow by. For the 2+ hrs I was in class, it felt no longer then 20 minutes. I recommend this game to everyone as an incredible way to pass time. Anyhow, for the next few days we’re going to be running through my top 30 songs. I know incredibly pretentious and self absorbed, but this my blog, so deal with it. Today we have 30-21.
(Note: All scales are 1-10, BT= Best time to listen to it, the rest of the keys are explained above.)

30. Lou Reed – Coney Island Baby: SPF: 10, NSF: 6. LSF: 6, BT: Summer Nights.
Comment: My favorite Lou Reed song, so it makes the list.
29. Stereophonics – Have a Nice Day: SPF: 8.5, NSF: 9, LSF: 7.5, BT: Morning
Comment: Best song to wake up to… EVAH!!!!!??!?!?!?!
28. Ryan Adams – Call Me on your way back home: SPF: 9, NSF:8.5, LSF: 8.5 BT: Night (Any season).
Comment: Arguably the best harmonica in any song I’ve ever heard. And as my boyz and I decided in HS, any song w/ a harmonica is better song for it. So yeah.
27. Mason Jennings – Hospitals and Jails: SPF: 9, NSF: 7, LSF: 8, BT: Summer @ Dusk.
Comment: There were about 5-8 Mason songs I wanted to put here, in the end I’m not sure how I came up with HJ. Maybe that’s why, the initials!!!!
26. Boo Radleys – Wishing I was Skinny: SPF: 10, NSF: 9, LSF: 8.5, BT: Morning, warm weather.
Comment: Incredible love song whose title doubles as my first wish if I ever found a genie.
25. Creeper Lagoon – Wrecking Ball: SPF: 9, NSF: 10, LSF: 7.5, BT: Summer.
Comment: For my money, one of the best power pop songs… EVAH!!!!!!!!
24. Weezer – Tired of Sex: STF: 8.5, NSF: 10, LSF: 8, BT: Night.
Comment: The soundtrack of my sophomore year of HS was Pinkerton; this songs rocks major ass.
23. Modest Mouse – Talking Sh*t about a Pretty Sunset: SPF: 10, NSF: 8.5, LSF: 9, BT: Sunset (NO SH*T).
Comment: Should/could be higher, but I got distracted in class, and put it here.
22. Wilco – Theologian: SPF: 9.5, NSF: 6, LSF: 9.5, BT: Summer, Mornings, Afternoon.
Comment: Has great potential to move up the list, one of my favorite songs to dance to after tests/finals/work. And no, I;m not gay. I just love to dance.
21. Ryan Adams – From You to Me: SPF: 8.5, NTF: 8, LSF: 9.9, BT: Summer Nights.
Comment: I love this song, but if I did this again this is the one most likely to get bumped from the list. Still a great song though.

That’s it for today. Check back soon (i.e. Tomorrow) for 20-11 and the rest of the list.

No comments: